Celebrate Small Business
By Andy Kocemba
More than 50 years ago, the President of the United States first recognized National Small Business Week. Each year since, the country takes a week in early May to celebrate and recognize the profound impact small businesses make in our economy and our lives.
Did you know that in Minnesota alone there are more than 500,000 small businesses? They employ more than 1.2 million workers, which amounts to nearly half of Minnesota’s workforce. Even more staggering, more than 99 percent of businesses in Minnesota are classified as small businesses. This means that while the large corporations like Target and Best Buy garner the headlines and grab our attention, it’s the small businesses that are the driving force in our economy.
This year, they need your support more than ever. Here's how you can carry the banner for small businesses throughout National Small Business Week and beyond:
- Visit and support your local small businesses regularly.
- Tell people about the small businesses you love. The more people you tell, the more you are helping the business.
- Leave a review on sites like Yelp and Foursquare when you visit a small business.
- Share and recognize your favorite small businesses throughout the year on social media
Let’s continue to support the local small businesses that make Minnesota great all year long!
- The impact of small business is anything but small.
- Everyone should take time to support small businesses throughout the year.
- Tell the world about your favorite small business.